Friday 11 May 2012

Kerala Cuisine!

I visited Kerala for two days to conduct makeup workshops- 3 Group sessions in Thrissur and 1 in Kochi. It was organized by a lovely lady, Sona who was the perfect host! I had a really good time with the women there! They were warm, friendly, enthusiastic and kept me laughing throughout with their witty jokes!

Sona Aunty and I

Her cook, Bhavani, was simply AMAZING! We couldn't communicate with each other because I didn't know Malyali and she didn't know Tamil, but we kept smiling at each other and nodding our heads! :P

With Bhavani :)

I wanted to share with you guys, some of the mouth-watering dishes that I tried while I was there. I'm a hardcore Foodie, but I do limit my portions! :P

Day 1 

Lunch: Currymean (Fish)
Aunty explained to me how the fish is wrapped in a banana leaf with a delicious marinade and steamed for a few minutes.. Little did i know that it was a WHOLE fish (with the tail) staring right at me!! :O I FREAKED out! Not even kidding! I've never eaten fish with bones, but I pep talked myself into doing so! I'm glad I did because it was by farrrr the BEST fish I've ever tasted!! It didn't smell fishy (phew!) and it wasn't spicy (because she knew I had zero tolerance for spices!)


SURPRISE!!

Snack: Jackfruit chips
I was addicted to these! I'm not a fan of raw jackfruit, but I couldn't stop munching on these!! YUMMY!


Dinner: Masala Prawns 
Less oil, less spices! PERFECTLY cooked with a tangy twist.. Mixed it with steamed rice and kept on eating! *_* Ha ha



Day 2 

Lunch: Drumstick+Jackfruit Seed Curry with Steamed Rice
I loveeee vegetable curries (more than meaty curries) and this one was packed with flavours! Reminded me of my fav Sambar (because of the drumsticks). The jackfruit seeds which are highly nutritious looked like gigantic garlic cloves (same texture too) but taste completely different! Calories overload!



Snack: Kozhukkatta
Scrumptious steamed rice dumplings with jaggery and coconuts stuffed inside! An authentic Kerala snack!..  It's sorta like a guilt-free desert :P ... I just about managed to finish 2 of them! They're FILLING!


Kozhukkatta

Coconut+Jaggery Stuffing



Dinner: Raw Papaya Vegetable and Mango Curry
It's so fascinating how they incorporate so many different fruits into cooking vegetables, sides and curries! Both the dishes had their own unique flavours! The mango curry was made with REAL mangoes (with the pulp) and yoghurt.. I couldn't believe there were actual mangoes thrown into the curry! How cooool!! it was brilliant!

Raw Papaya Vegetable

Mango Curry

A truly memorable trip! <3

Time for power yoga  to burn off all those calories!!

Till next time! :)

Love,
Akriti


5 comments:

  1. Akuu, the food looks delicious! Great that you got the opportunity to eat all of that, and conduct workshops! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. akiti..........thank u for adding my dishes....we really enjoyed ur company......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Green Bay Packers Banner measures a huge 2x8 feet, is constructed of thick weather resistant nylon, and is embroidered with the Green Bay Packers NFL team logo as shown. Our Green Bay Packers Banner includes ten (10) reinforced metal grommets around the perimeter for easy hanging at your next tailgate party, in your sports room, or as an interior or exterior "gameday" decoration.nfl flags wholesale
    nfl house divided flagsPanthers stars and stripes flags
    Chicago Bears house flags, House Divided Flags,Sports Flags 3x5, Sports flags and banners,nfl House Divided Flags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Costituita nel 2009 su iniziativa della multinazionale austriaca Red Bull GmbH, mediante l’acquisizione della licenza sportiva del SSV Markranstädt (club dell’omonima cittadina limitrofa all’epoca militante nel girone locale di quinta divisione), nella stagione 2015-2016 milita per il secondo anno consecutivo in Zweite Bundesliga, seconda serie del campionato tedesco di calcio.maglie calcio poco prezzo,
    maglie da calcio a poco prezzo, maglia AC milan prezzo online
    Maglia AS Roma 2017 prezzo

    ReplyDelete

It's all about a friendly conversation here at my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts and answer your doubts. Feel free to leave your comments below :)

Post of the Week